(f/k/a Laurna A. Jozwiak)
Laurna Kinnel counsels individuals and businesses in a variety of areas, focusing her practice on business law, family law and trademark work. She has experience both in and out of the courtroom, including mediation, pretrial motion practice, trials, appellate and post-judgment practice, commercial transactions, contract negotiation and trademark and service mark prosecution.
In her work with businesses, Laurna assists clients with various aspects of their operations, including establishing new businesses, mergers and acquisitions, financing, contract negotiations, internal employee matters and collections. As part of that practice, Laurna understands the importance and value of intangible assets. She helps businesses to guard their intellectual property through domestic and international trademark prosecution, and counsels clients in the selection, maintenance, protection and enforcement of trademarks.
Laurna understands the difficulties facing individuals and families involved in family law disputes, including divorce, paternity, custody and placement, child support, maintenance and other post-judgment issues. She understands that family law is not “one-size-fits-all” and provides a variety of practice approaches, including document drafting assistance, settlement-focused divorce, collaborative divorce and traditional litigation to trial, tailoring each case to each client’s goals. She uses these various processes and techniques to effectively assist clients in obtaining favorable results and creative solutions to suit each family’s particular needs.
- Represented a Wisconsin distributor in merger with two other multistate distributors to form new partnership to serve customers form a regional, Midwestern based business in a deal that closed in June, 2016.
- In a deal that closed in May, 2016, represented a local Milwaukee client in the negotiation of a refinance of investment property located in New York City.
- Represented a local distributor of sporting goods in the multimillion dollar sale of the business to a large, publically traded company in a deal that closed in early 2016.
- In 2014, represented a local orthodontist in the sale of his practice.
- In 2014, represented a storage and material handling business in the acquisition of another local material handling business.
- Represented a leading local pipe and related components provider in the sale of its business to a large, Louisville based pipe solutions provider.
- Regularly represents clients in protecting and enforcing their intellectual property and trademark rights through prosecuting trademark applications, negotiating license agreements and protecting against infringement.
Awards & Recognitions
Up and Coming Lawyer by Wisconsin Law Journal (2015)
Laurna grew up in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. After graduating from Divine Savior Holy Angels High School, she attended the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, graduating Magna Cum Laude in 2006. Laurna later attended Marquette University Law School, graduating Cum Laude in 2009.
While in law school, Laurna first began volunteering at the Volunteer Legal Clinic at the House of Peace. She continues to support the organization today as a volunteer attorney. Laurna is also active with the Milwaukee Young Lawyers Association, serving as one of its Board of Directors. She also volunteers with Legal Action of Wisconsin’s Volunteer Lawyer’s Project and served on the board of directors of a local nonprofit, among other charitable endeavors.
In her free time Laurna enjoys spending time with her family, cooking, reading, cheering on the Marquette Golden Eagles and working on her golf game.